Today, CEC recognizes International Day of Persons with Disabilities through the United Nations theme Sustainable Development: The Promise of Technology. The themefocuses on the role of technology in:
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Emergency Responses
- Creating Enabling Working Environments
- Disability-Inclusive Sustainable Development Goals
The observance of the Day aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
This year’s International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD) provides an opportunity to further raise awareness of disability as a cross-cutting development issue. The theme of this year's commemoration, “Sustainable Development: The promise of technology” is timely, as it marks the conclusion of the period of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGS) in 2015 and the launching of the new development framework of sustainable development goals (SDGs).
The 2014 commemoration of IDPD will work to harness the power of technology to promote inclusion and accessibility to help realize the full and equal participation of persons with disabilities in society and shape the future of sustainable development for all.
Below, please find resources with information on each sub-theme that focuses on the promise of technology:
Disability-Inclusive Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The Sustainable Development Goals and Disability
- Introduction to the proposal of the Open Working Group for Sustainable Development Goals
- Outcome document - Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals
- High-level meeting of the General Assembly on disability and development, 23 September 2013
- The ICT Opportunity for a Disability-Inclusive Development Framework
Disaster risk reduction and emergency responses
- Disability, natural disasters and emergency situations
- WCDRR World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, 14-18 March 2015, Sendai, Japan
- DESA Forum Roundtable Discussion on Disability–Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
- UN International Day for Disaster Reduction
Creating Enabling Work Environments
- A Place for All: A Guide to Creating an Inclusive Workplace — Canadian Human Rights Commission
- Simple Strategies for Providing an Accessible Workplace for Blind Employees
- Work Without Limits - An accessible workplace
- Managing disability in the workplace : ILO code of practice
- G3ict: The Global Initiative for Inclusive ICTs
For more information on the theme and events at UN Headquarters click here.