On July 30th at 3:00pm EDT, ED will host a google hangout with experts to discuss “The Hidden Cost of Suspension.” They welcome you and your stakeholders to join – on either Google+ (https://bit.ly/1h5vGAR) or on YouTube (https://youtu.be/W0AroRVB2ao) – to follow the dialogue with:
- Michael Yudin, Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- Russell Skiba of Indiana University’s Equity Project
- Dr. Ramona Bishop, Superintendent of Vallejo City Unified School District in California
- Marlyn Tillman from Gwinnett Parent Coalition to Dismantle the School to Prison Pipeline (Gwinnett STOPP)
Tomorrow’s google hangout will also mark the release a new set of interactive, zoomable, clickable discipline maps – to be posted to ED’s new www.ed.gov/rethinkdiscipline site -- to help educators and communities to better understand the prevalence of out-of-school suspensions in their community.
The google hangout and new maps are part of ED’s new public awareness campaign -- #RethinkDiscipline. This campaign is intended to:
- Highlight national data on discipline, particularly suspensions, expulsions, and other practices that remove students from instruction;
- Clarify the impact of suspension on student outcomes and school communities; and
- Share how schools and districts are working to implement effective alternatives to suspension by addressing student social, emotional, and behavioral needs.