The CEC Policy Team has been humming Elton John’s Philadelphia Freedomall week long here in preparation for the CEC Annual Convention & Expo, which kicks off today!(WARNING: If you listen, you’ll be humming along with us!)
With over 800 professional development sessions on anything and everything special/gifted education, there’s much to do between now and Saturday, April 12th! As readers of our Policy Insider Blog, we know you’ll find these sessions interesting:
- CEC’s Legislative Action Center - All day, every day! Located in CEC Central in the Expo Hall Stop by, get a prize, & learn how you can get involved in CEC’s advocacy efforts!
- Preconvention Workshop 15: What Every Educator Needs to Know About the Coming Changes to Special Education Policy ,Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, with CEC’s Policy Team Major education policy changes are impacting special/gifted education, such as the adoption of College and Career Ready Standards, new assessment systems, new teacher evaluation systems, and more. This session will analyze recent policy developments and the impact on students with exceptionalities.
- OSERS Priorities: High Expectations for Children with Disabilities ,Thursday, April 10, 2014, 9:15-10:15 AM, with Michael Yudin Acting Assistant Secretary for OSERS, U.S. Department of Education OSERS Acting Assistant Secretary Michael Yudin will discuss access to college and career ready standards and assessments, secondary transition and disproportionality.
- OESE/OSEP Collaboration: IDEA and Title I Collaboration at the Federal Level: What It Means for You! Thursday, April 10, 2014, 1:30-2:30 PM, with Monique Chism, Director, Office of Student Achievement and School Accountability, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education; and Ruth Ryder, Deputy Director, Office of Special Education Programs, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, U.S. Department of Education
- What's Happening in Washington? Friday, April 11, 2014, 8:00-11:30 AM featuring Melody Musgove, OSEP Director, U.S. Department of Education; and numerous nationally recognized experts who will discuss Results Driven Accountability, college and career ready standards, new assessments, new teacher evaluation systems, and much more!
- Overview of the National Center for Special Education Research (NCSER), Friday, April 11, 2014, 2:45-3:45 PM, with Joan McLaughlin, Commissioner, NCSER, IES, U.S. Department of Education
- Rewriting the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act: CEC's Town Hall Discussion
Saturday, April 12, 2014, 10:30-11:30 AM with CEC’s Policy Team!
We hope to see you there!