at the stroke of midnight, President Obama signed the official sequester order
which set the cuts we have all been fearin in motion. According to that order, “over the course of the fiscal year, the sequestration requires .
. . . . 5.0 percent reduction in non-exempt nondefense discretionary funding.
The sequestration also requires reductions of 2.0 percent to Medicare, 5.1
percent to other non-exempt nondefense mandatory programs, and 7.9 percent to
non-exempt defense mandatory programs."
Under these guidelines, the total cut to the U.S. Dept. of Ed. is $2.278 billion. Based on this number it appears the total national cut to IDEA programs is as follows (Please note the following numbers are in millions):
- IDEA Part B Grants to States (Ages 6-21) Cut $579,595
- IDEA Part 619 Preschool Grants (Ages 3-5) Cut $18,746
- IDEA Part C Grants to Infants and Toddlers (Ages 0-2) Cut $22,271
- IDEA Part D
- State Personnel Development Grants Cut $22,271
- Technical Assistance and Dissemination Cut $2,353
- Personnel Preparation Program Cut $4,442
- Parent Information Centers Cut $1,455
- Technology & Media Services Cut $1,488
How will these cuts impact you, your students and your district? Now is the time to talk about this with your Senators and Representatives. Want to talk to them directly? Send a letter using our Legislative Action Center – its easy all you need is your zipcode!
Or, share your story with us! Email us your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can use them on our many visits with legislators. We need to show them why this is such a troublesome thing