President Obama announced that the White House will be sending a Presidential Delegation to the opening ceremony of the 2012 Paralympic Games which will commence on August 29, 2012. This delegation will be led by U.S. Army General Martin E. Dempsey, 18th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The delegation will also include the following:
- The Honorable Louis B. Susman, Ambassador of the United States to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- The Honorable Lisa P. Jackson, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency
- Mr. Kareem A. Dale, Special Assistant to the President for Disability Policy, The White House
- Ms. Jean Driscoll, U.S. two-time Olympic silver medalist, five-time Paralympic gold medalist, three-time Paralympic silver medalist, and four-time Paralympic bronze medalist
- Ms. Sharon Hedrick, U.S. two-time Olympic gold medalist, six-time Paralympic gold medalist, four-time Paralympic silver medalist, and two-time Paralympic bronze medalist
- Mr. Larry T. Hughes, U.S. Paralympic gold medalist
For more information about the 2012 Paralympic Games, please click here. CEC congratulates those named to the delegation and looks forward to the commencement of these games.